Tips for Packing Antiques and Delicates
If you are planning to move your antiques and delicate items by the help of your mover, ask if your mover provides you with professional packers to pack your antiques. In case you are not provided with this request, arrange for some outside professionals who can help you with packing your antiques and delicate items.
- Priceless antiques should only be handled by qualified packers.
- Remember to take photos of every antique and if possible, some up-close photos proof of condition.
- Always remember to clean your antiques before moving them, or it could result to stains or permanent marks on them, as they will be packed for a long period of time.
- If you are moving any antique sculptures, pack them up in boxes that have enough space for cushioning materials like bubble wrap, packing peanuts, blankets, etc.
- If you are moving antique furniture, start by padding it from the top and then gradually include more pads on the bottom. It is best if you remove any loose parts of your furniture and pack them separately with extra padding to prevent them from getting damaged during the transit.
- If you are packing delicate items by yourself in boxes, make sure they have sufficient cushioning around them.
- If you have time, arrange custom built wooden crates so that the delicate items fit properly and are ensured proper security.
- In case of glass panels or mirrors, make sure the items are secured with sufficient padding and stretch wrap.
- If you are packing delicate porcelain items, be sure to remember to wrap all items with fine tissue and place them in carefully.
Keep in mind that any valuable items or items prone to theft should be kept with you when traveling. Some of these include fine jewelry or antique coins, stamps, or even currency. These should be wrapped up and carried with you.
- Ask if your mover has a climate controlled warehouse that is safe from fire and theft.
- Figure out if your mover has an air ride suspension trailer with lift gates to move your antiques safely into the truck.
- Learn whether or not your mover delivers antiques inside your new home.
Once your antique and delicate items are loaded onto the truck, be sure to check if they are in contact with any other items in the truck that may cause damage to them.